My friend Sara sent this to me, so I thought I might share it just for fun!
Don't be a Scrooge; have fun, and enjoy reliving and sharing the memories!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He wraps and wraps and wraps, what is Christmas without a mess of paper all over?
3. Colored lights on tree/house, or white? Both
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No, I have teens in the house, with friends J
5. When do you put up your decorations? After the 1st Sun of Advent
6. Tree -- real or artificial? Fake-a-rooney, it lives in a box in the attic—burn a Yankee Candle Mistletoe candle, you’ll never have to water again!
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? The four of us waiting on the stairs to come down and open presents—it always seemed like HOURS—we couldn’t go down until Grandma was in the living room with her cup of tea—and 80 year old women don’t move so fast.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? WHAT?? No Santa??
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? In my house yes, but it is always pj’s from me; in N.O. all of the family gifts (around 2 in the morning); in my mom’s house, NEVER
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? The more the merrier, usually with all the ornaments about midway up (as high as the little ones can reach)
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? LOVE it!
12. Can you ice skate? I suppose I still could, loved it as a kid – and we did it outside too! Though, I was always the one that found that tree root or rock to fall over.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift as a child? Yes, a big Barbie head to put make up on (which I loved until my sister decorated her with markers)
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you now? Family and traditions
15. What is your favorite holiday dish/dessert? Joyce family Christmas cookies – everyone is original!
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? One that actually started out sad for me. Rhett’s family is German and they celebrate Christmas Eve and sleep on Christmas. We were newly married with nothing to do on Christmas day – so we started going to the French Quarter (it’s all closed ‘cept a few restaurants) When we are in N.O., Christmas dinner at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville (happy birthday Jimmy) is my kids N.O. tradition
17. What tops your tree? A gold cardboard star Rhett made when we were 1st married and money was tight (it’s still pretty high tech—there is a spot in the center for a Christmas light)
18. Which do you prefer -- giving or receiving? Honestly, giving
19. What is your favorite Christmas carol/song? I have a bunch, but Sara’s song is stuck in my head now and all I hear is “God rest ye merry gentlemen…”
20. Candy canes, yes or no? As a treat? Yes! On a sweater? Oh, heck no!
21. Do you feel Christmas is too commercialized? Yes.
22. What is your favorite Christmas TV special (not movie)? Charlie Brown Christmas
23. What is your favorite Christmas movie? Tug on your heartstrings? It’s a Wonderful Life. HAVE to see it every year? A Christmas Story. New addition to the classics? The Nativity. Admitting to the church ladies that I have a dark side? The Ref.
24. Do you have a favorite Christmas book/story? I buy a book (or 2) each year so I have amassed quite a collection—but the all time favorite that makes me cry EVERY SINGLE TIME is The Christmas Miracle of John Toomey. I am loving Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg’s collection Family Christmas this year
25. Anything else you want to share about your holiday memories/traditions that you haven't shared? I hate that I seem to always get caught up in the perfectionism of Christmas, which actually paralyzes me and then nothing gets done. This year I am doing all in my power to enjoy my family, the season, to anticipate the birth of Christ and to not get bogged down in perfectionism (yet, it took me more time to make sure that each response was written in a different color than Sara’s and that it was merry and bright!) Here’s to late Christmas cards, imperfect bows, overdone cookies and gift cards!