8/7/09

Seven Quick Takes Friday

-1-
I woke this morning to learn that John Hughes had passed away suddenly. What a sad day. There is no better reflection on American teens than that seen through the eyes of Mr. Hughes.

My favorite JH film has to be Sixteen Candles. Pushy grandmothers, forgotten birthdays, wild parties, geek heaven. It had it all. Except for that fantasy ending. This would never happen in real life. But, that's why we loved this film. For its possibilities.
"That's why they call them crushes. If they were easy, they'd call them something else."
Pretty much sums up MY high school life.


My second favorite JH film is She's Having a Baby. To this day, I can NOT watch this movie without crying...
"It's breaded smelt, it's grouper. I try to make you happy and you mock me!"
This pretty much sums up my early 20's, early marriage and parenthood.

I learned today that not only did JH only direct 8 films, all classics, but that he also wrote the screenplays for the rest of the decent 80's films-- including NL's Vacation and Christmas Vacation
-2-

Today is officially the last day of summer break. Ugh, totally not ready for the chaos of the school year. NOT ready to go back to work. I am happy that I am back working with the same teacher with the same kids + a few new ones (thanks budget crisis for that increased student/teacher ratio!).
-3-


I still have not see Harry Potter and the HBP, despite the fact that my children have seen the movie at least 3 times EACH! Maybe tonight will be date night.

-4-

I am happy that my brother-in-law Rob is back stateside after a YEAR spent in Bagdhad.
That's his office overlooking the Colbert Report's USO tour!!!




I am happy that he is home safe and sound. Especially now that he doesn't have to kick rats out of his way walking through Sadam's palace; that he is no longer covered in sand and that he can hang out and play with his kids like Gumby...


-5-

While, the fact that Rob is home truly does make me happy...it also makes me sad, because that means that now they have to MOVE to Virginia. It has been a lot of fun having them here in the ATL. I am glad that the cousins have really had a chance to get to know each other-- I just wish I had more time when they were here. In a perfect world, I would have been playing Sally Homemaker and doing all kinds of crafts and home improvement projects with my sister, Shmartha. But, we don't live in a perfect world, and I will take what I got.

And now, we get another beach to visit!
-6-
Good news... PSYCH is back on! Tonight. Premier!

-7-

I think I am going to spend the rest of my day watching JH films-- if I can avoid my 10 year old who is chomping at the bit to buy school supplies...

2 comments:

the Provident Woman said...

I love those movies! You really should see HP. It's pretty good.

Amy said...

My sister-in-law loves Sixteen Candles so much she named her daughter Samantha Marie!